Thursday, July 26, 2007

Greetings from the Road: Day 5

Wow. And I thought Santa Cruz had a lot of hippies. It is totally, amazingly beautiful here so I can see why people come to live off the land. I must say I am very thankful for basic modern amenities and thankful that Jason recently transitioned from an outhouse to a composting toilet at the Octagon, his pad about 15 miles outside Garberville in Humboldt County. Funny because the Octagon, as Jason pointed out, is actually a hexagon but who's counting. The super best part of Humboldt County however is the cool black, plastic Casio digital AND analog watch I found on the bank of the Eel River Wednesday.

The best part of my day today though was spent sitting under a giant fir tree perched on an old wooden skid 20 feet from the Octagon. While Addie napped, I cracked the door so I could hear her and then sat on my flat, read Harry Potter, and peered at wild turkeys through my binoculars. Later when Addie woke up we sat together under the fir and played with sticks, bark, moss and pine cones.

Addie is just so amazing and I've been in awe of her this whole trip. She cracks me up everytime she takes a gigantic bite of a banana, so large she can barely close her mouth. And how she says "more" when she wants another bite. I've also learned that Addie can understand so much more than I had imagined. We can tell her not to stand on the furniture or not to touch the food in Jason's open pantry and she'll obey. And how I can ask her to find me a pine cone and she'll go pick one up. She amazed me the other day when we asked her to find the wooden block with the duck and she was able to sort through a small pile to find it. What is perhaps even more amazing, is that it was the caretaker at the b&b in Santa Cruz that showed me this. I guess it does take a village.

4 comments:

kitty said...

sounds like so much fun. be sure to read the local paper in garberville. there's always something totally wacky happening (especially in the police report). and if you get the chance, have a meal on the patio of the benbow inn!

Reid said...

It's like getting to know your own family all over again! Glad you can still blog in a place where the toilets don't flush.

Anonymous said...

A vacation like yours is time out of time. At home you are controlled by external forces (work schedules, day care schedules). For this week,life moves at your pace. Wonderful that you are treasuring the moments, and sharing them with us all.

Addie is a smart cookie. It was a surprise to me every time I had fresh proof of the mind and the personality behind the pint-size package. There is a lot going on in that head of hers!

Anonymous said...

addi'e growing so fast i'm not going to recognize her. maybe she's a new species.

love, marcia