Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tennis Anyone?

Addie likes to play with the tennis ball, but she really, really doesn't like sitting on the grass. Plunk her down for a sec and she protests and tries to remove as much of her skin from making contact with the evil prickles as possible as shown here by her leg lift. Oddly she prefered the hard concrete over the green lawn that surrounded the pool at our Fab Modern home in Palm Springs.

My friend Doug and I are big tennis fans and have seen the US Open together as well as the Pacific Life Open tournament. I'm sort of a poser because I might be the only fan that doesn't actually play the game. I make up for that shortcoming by my enthusiasm. Doug has to wear chain mail however when he sits next to me because I can get so excited over a really good rally and bruise his thighs in my death grip.

Pre-Addie, we could easily watch 14 hours of tennis a day. I didn't have the expectation that we could do that this trip but we also didn't expect that Addie would have a low-grade fever for most of the weekend that would turn out to be an ear infection. Well, I've learned that lesson. Nota Bene: if your baby has a cold and then gets a fever, it's an ear infection and you better be taking her to the doctor. Poor sick baby! Cap was so wonderful staying with her at the house allowing me to sneak away for a few hours to catch some tennis. We got almost no sleep though with a feverish, restless Addie. She's doing great now and will be returning to daycare tomorrow.

She wasn't feeling terrible the entire time thankfully and we got to spend a full day just hanging out poolside at the house while Doug and his parents went to the tennis center. Jamie and Clara came over and we camped out in the shade of two giant palm trees and took the little ladies swimming. And, yes, that is an empty Red Stripe. Addie was air-drying in the buff here when the sprinklers suddenly went off. Jamie had seconds ago gone into the house. I was only able to rescue one baby and, so sorry Clara, grabbed Addie. Thankfully all babies, cameras, towels and toys were eventually rescued. Clara didn't seem too disturbed by the experience unlike Addie who was wailing and then proceeded to pee on me. Good thing we could just hop back in the pool!

I loved our back to back weekends in the desert but I must admit I'm looking forward to returning to our quiet routine at home. Didi is excited about that too. I think she might be under the impression we are moving out and our first night back from Palm Springs, we woke up and found her resting her paws on Addie who we had in our bed. She knows the baby comes with us so maybe if she's on her then we won't forget the cat too.

Thanks Doug Doug for sharing your tennis weekend with us! Go Fernando!

(check out more pics from our weekend on flickr)

2 comments:

jamie said...

thanks to doug for sharing your fab house with us too! we especially enjoyed the well-watered lawn. and sarah, clara forgives you.

Anonymous said...

that is a cute outfit or swmming suit clara is wearing. and addie, it is ok to go naked...when you're a baby. I liked addies ladybug Robeez! they matched the grass!