Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Otherwise

_MG_9901.JPG

Addie's becoming quite the chatterbox. Her vocabulary continues to expand and she shocks me on occasion with the words she knows, like "otherwise." For some reason, that really got me.

"I have to hold my cereal bowl with two hands, otherwise I might drop it. I need to be very careful."

She frequently likes to tell me What Is. Yesterday she told me matter of factly, "Everyone has a bum. You can't take off your bum; that would be owie."

She is also learning the way of the modern world. She came home from daycare and told me:
"Roman has one Mommy. He doesn't have a Daddy."
"Teddy has a Daddy and a Papa. He doesn't have a Mommy."
I explained that there are lots of different kinds of families.

I wasn't sure though what to say when she asked me, "What is die?"
Thankfully it was in reference, not to one of our dear departed fish, but to the song about the Little Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. I think I'm going to have to change that last line.

4 comments:

auntie snorg said...

What an observant little munchkin. I do like that she uses the word Bum. How very british of her.

If she can rewrite songs, i think you can too!

Anonymous said...

i still think addie is scientifically bent. what is and what isn't. and amazingly smart. however, here she looks like christopher robin. love, marcia

Anonymous said...

So intent - you are right, Marcia. Definitely Christopher Robin.

Not sure about changing the song. If I remember, the old lady swallows all sorts of things that could very well disagree with her digestion, and quite possibly impair her health. As a cautionary but funny song, I would vote it as safe.

Understanding "end of physical being" doesn't really come for quite some time - witness high school kids' driving habits, and the shock and grief when there are fatal results. And Addie already knows getting too close to the street is bad.

And after all, the old lady only "might" die if she eats too many odd things (so don't follow her example, Addie!).

Anonymous said...

I am so happy she can be non-judgmental about "modern family" configurations. Keep it up girl!
I can't wait for that observation conversation in Tucson!