Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sarah Sews

_MG_5206.JPG

I've been wanting to learn to sew for ages. Cap's mom bought me a fabulous sewing kit full of all the necessary accessories about 10 years ago when I picked up a 1971 Singer sewing machine at a thrift store for $10. It died before I could get my hands dirty. While I've used the sewing kit to hand stitch a few things here and there I never did learn to use a sewing machine. I have been wanting to make new curtains for Addie and Eliza's room by re-purposing some pre-made ones with cute red pom-pom trim that I ordered already when I was on maternity leave, but the project requires some basic hemming. The project has come to a halt.

2010 is going to be the year I learn to sew. Cap bought me a new Singer sewing machine for my birthday, but I had been too intimidated by the instructions on winding the bobbin and what not to even conceive of sewing that first stitch. Finally, Cap set up the machine and I attempted my first project today - a crinkle square toy for Eliza. I whined and cursed my way through the process. Sure, the stitches are all wonky and one of the ribbons is already falling off, but Eliza loves it. Maybe I'll be brave enough to tackle the curtains next, or maybe I'll just stick to crinkle squares for a while.
_MG_5202.JPG

2 comments:

Gran said...

What a great pattern. Eliza is obviously very pleased! Good start, Sarah!

Pop-Pop said...

keep at it. Your taste and Eliza's in fabric is great1