Friday, July 20, 2012

Hawk Walks

_MG_3020.JPG

Three new neighbors moved in - juvenile Cooper's Hawks. We've taken to going on evening Hawk Walks with the girls armed with binoculars. They prefer the telephone poles by our house and in our backyard where they've perched for several weeks occasionally eating a pigeon or a rat (note their gross dinner in the photo). Our goldfinches fled for a while but have recently returned. They must have decided there were enough pigeons in the 'hood to keep the hawks distracted. The hummingbirds never seemed bothered at all and even the mockingbirds and the crows have started to take their territory back squawking and attacking. We've met a lot of non-feathered neighbors on our walks too, all of whom seem just as fond of the triplets as we are.

We leave on Saturday for a week in Grand Lake, Colorado where we've rented a 3-bedroom cabin right on the lake. We'll get to see my God-kiddos and two of my most cherished friends - Reid and Dara. I'm also hoping to see a moose. That would make me super duper happy.

1 comment:

GranJanne said...

Cooper's hawks are pause-giving. I have one who hangs out at my house. She alights on the edge of my fountain out back. I let her drink her fill and then chase her off; otherwise, she attacks the birds who congregate in my yard. The sparrows are amazing: When she's in my yard, they let off an amazing alarm chorus.