Sunday, March 06, 2011

Snickerdoodles

_MG_9397.JPG

I plan on giving up sugar again for lent this year so in preparation I'm devouring it now. Addie and I made snickerdoodles as a birthday gift for a friend today. These are great cookies to make with kids because they are very tactile. Addie helped make the dough, roll it into balls and then dredge them in cinnamon sugar. A bowl of cinnamon sugar was a standard on our kitchen counter when I was growing up. There is nothing quite as comforting as eating cinnamon toast curled up on the sofa.

The birthday girl is a lovely, single gal in her early thirties and the party guests were more her demographic. I think the last time I was at her place was two years ago and I was pregnant with Eliza. There was another mom with her two year old in tow, otherwise we were the only family and with our two kids and a third on the way I felt a little like we had rolled in from the farm. We lasted thirty minutes before Eliza terrorized her cat, the girls fought over a toy pony, Eliza ran off with the entire hunk of smoked gouda and left a trail of crackers in her wake like Gretel.

I'm wondering if the homemade cookies, instead of a bottle of wine, might have been a little too June Cleaver of me.

1 comment:

Gran said...

I think they look great, and I am so impressed that they are the same size! I see FN episodes on making cookies and they use melon ballers or small ice cream scoops for uniformity. Who knew?

I miss the cinnamon sugar bowl. It just isn't the same without children in the house.