Tuesday, May 03, 2011

The Buff-flies

_MG_9538.JPG

We adopted two caterpillars again this year - Apple and Strawberry. Here are they are in their caterpillar stage about 2 weeks ago. I thought they'd like the colorful Clinique bonus gift bag as a backdrop. Strawberry, who was Addie's, emerged from her chrysalis first on Saturday followed by Apple the next day. Fearing what would happen after too long in captivity, we released them from their shoebox bungalow this morning before I left for work. Neither flew away so after a while of watching them just chill, we left the box and the buff-flies (as Eliza calls them) to their own devices. Tonight Addie inspected the box to make sure they had flown away. She discovered that Strawberry had left part of his caterpillar self behind when he made a chrysalis. "My caterpillar left his head!" I told her it was probably his bum since they hang upside down which she thought was pretty funny. "My caterpillar's bum fell off!"

_MG_9672.JPG

_MG_9668.JPG

2 comments:

Pop-Pop said...

Love those Buff-flies, soooooo cute

Gran said...

Buff-flies and snugs! I love how children expand our vocabulary.