Saturday, October 13, 2012

Shuttle Bug

IMG_3943.JPG
I admit I have caught the shuttle bug. I can't say I've ever been an air and space nut, and I agree with Obama's decision to retire the space shuttle program. I guess though that space flight has been in our blood as Americas more than I recognized. When Endeavour made it's final flight to LAX piggy back on a Boeing 747, I just had to see it. I went with co-workers on Friday, September 21 to the top deck of a parking garage at the airport. We got a pretty great view of Endeavour coming in through the palm trees, flying over the South runway and then circling back around before landing. I burst into tears, surprising myself.

IMG_3942.JPG

Endeavour has been hanging out at the United Hangar at LAX for a few weeks while the construction on the temporary pavilion at the California Science Center is finished and opens to the public on October 20. My firm has the honor and privilege of being the engineers for the orbiter's temporary home at the California Science Center with careful attention to keeping the surprisingly fragile shuttle safe in the event of an earthquake.

The orbiter is making its way through the streets of Los Angeles on a two day trek from the airport to CSC. I wasn't able to sneak out during the day to see it when it was still parked in Westchester near my the office so when I got home that night I was starting to panic that I would be missing the opportunity. Even though it's been a sleepless week, I had to do it. I texted my friend to see if her husband, a shuttle nut and photographer, could be convinced to come with me on this recon mission.

Camera Roll-84

Thanks to twitter, I knew the shuttle would be parked until midnight at the intersection of La Cienaga and Manchester, just 6 miles from my house. We headed out around 8:30 after our respective kids were in bed, not knowing what to expect. I was imagining the shuttle sitting in a creepy neighborhood in the dark cut off by police barricades, but when we go there the area was filled with people and the shuttle was completely illuminated. Entrepreneurial vendors were even hawking t-shirts and bacon wrapped hot dogs. Turns out Toyota was filming a commercial with the shuttle and the iconic Randy's donuts in the background. The crowds kept piling in even after we left at 10pm. I would have liked the girls see it but it was just too late with too many people shoving their way through a mob.

It was really an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I'm glad I made the effort (and thanks to Cap for staying with the munchkins at home).

_MG_3486.JPG

2 comments:

Gran said...

What an incredible experience! I know I would have teared up too, undoubtedly making my Arlington Cemetary famous wup-wup-wup sound.

GranJanne said...

We got to see it fly over Tucson. It was at about 1500 feet. They did it in honor of Gabby Giffords at the request of her husband who commanded its last mission. Impressive~