Saturday, April 13, 2013

Sleep-away Camp

Camera Roll-1692

This is a huge deal! Addie is spending 2 nights this weekend at an all-girls sleep away camp tucked into the hills in Griffith Park. She was super excited all week and bravely gave me a big hug before I said good-bye and off she went to play Simon Says with her fellow campers. She is with her friend Danika and then a classmate of Danika's happened to also be at camp. Addie was super exited to learn that this little girl was also a Harry Potter fan.

We are planning on sending her to a week of overnight camp at the same place over the summer but wanted to give it a trial run at their Spring Weekend Getaway. I'm sure she is going to love it but of course I worry and miss her. I snuck a note into her toiletry bag telling her we can't wait to hear all about the fun she had a reminding her to brush her teeth. When I pick her up on Sunday and she says she didn't see the note, I'll know she also never brushed her hair or teeth!

There has only been a handful of times since she was born that we have been apart overnight. Most of the time it's because Cap or I have been traveling for work and this time last year I got to go away for a girls weekend with Reid (reminds me I need to plan something for our 40th next year!). With the exception of a sleep-over at her friend Danika's house, all of those times I was the one leaving, looking forward to some precious time on my own. I can tell you it is much harder to be the one left behind. I miss my Addie! Eliza and Xavier however are reveling in the extra attention, Eliza especially who picked the Friday Night Movie herself.

I can't wait to hear tales of campfire songs, skits, arts and crafts, games and archery tomorrow.

3 comments:

mit said...

Addie looks excited. Danika looks toothless (and cute).

Gran said...

I think she will have a wonderful time. So glad Danika is there; they are good with each other and a long history of friendship. Can't wait to hear what Addie remembers from her time away.

auntie snorg said...

You know Camp Monterey now has 2 week long sessions - maybe not for this summer, but next?!!! i started at CM when i was only 7! ust throwing it out there!