Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fun for Addie, Pretty for Mama?

For Addie's birthday at the end of the month, Cap and I want to get her a tricycle. Of course I am immediately struggling with the my own on-going issue of Form vs. Function. The bike I like is the classic red flyer - sleek and nostalgic (although I don't remember ever having a tricyle.) I did, however, have The Most Awesome Bike Ever when I was little. It was a pink Hello Kitty bike complete with pink wheels and a star shaped electric horn that we got straight from Hello Kitty's homeland when we lived in Japan. I so wish we still had it as I've never seen one exactly like it since. But back to Addie.






So I like the red flyer (wins the Form contest) but I think we want one with a push handle which probably means we have to go with this one (wins the function contest). Now, why can't red flyer make the same red tricyle just with a push handle? Or what is it with me and primary colors?











I googled "modern tricycle" and I'm sorry but I have to draw the line at this. It just screams, "Look at me! My Kid is a Total Pretentious Jerk!"


Anyone else have a suggestion on a cool kid tricyle?

8 comments:

Uncle Brother said...

Oh, Hello Kitty bike. It even had pink tires.
I'm all for the Red Flyer. Gran and Pop-pop had to hunch over and shove us around and neither of them suffers back problems (related to tricycle trauma). Also, I've never in my life seen a push handle and the image is too jarring and disturbing for my brain to handle.

auntie snorg said...

Sister, i sent you a link. I found a Red Flyer with a removable Push handle. Solves the Form vs. Function fight.

I had the Twin Star Bike. I love japanese bikes!

Genevieve said...

OK, I saw the exact one with the handle last night in the Columbia Heights metro station, even had a child on it. It's ... not cute. Functional, I guess, but not cute.

I must agree with your sibs that the Red Flyer is way better.

And can I mention, I'm totally jealous of Jennifer's twin star bike!

Sarah Q said...

Go Sister! And now that you remind me, it WAS a twin star bike we had. They are so obviously Hello Kitty's cooler celestial cousins.

auntie snorg said...

I totally googled Little Twin Stars and found so many fun Sanrio Collectibles.
I think I had to give up the Twin Star Bike when we moved to Spring (hi, i was in the 5th grade by then). And it was replaced by a rusty pogo stick that the previous homeowners left. Oh, how i miss old school toys!

Anonymous said...

I concur with Uncle Bro. No push handle. I suspect Addie will learn to peddle pretty quickly. The Red Flyer is a must!! Nostalgia reigns!The third picture reminds me of a Smart car skeleton. Too trendy.

Reid said...

May I chime in and recommend this bike: http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/trikes_23.html

It's radio flyer and therefore classic by right, but its also incredibly functional and she'll be able to use it right away all by herself. Sawyer's daycare friend has it and it is SOOO much better than the clunky big old trike that we have. At this age, they really can't push the big trikes around yet by themselves. This bike/trike is agile enough that it doesn't need a push handle and it will serve her until she's ready for her first big girl bike.

Anyway. That's my recommendation - Sawyer tested and approved.

Hope its not too late for advice!

Anonymous said...

I have been without the internet for 10 days and missed the discussion. I like Reid's suggestions, but was brought up short by a line of very small type with a link: "Download asssembly instructions." Pop-pop still cringes at the memory, I am sure!