Sunday, June 29, 2008

On the Merry Go Round

Merry Go Round
_MG_5385.JPG

Saturday was my office Summer Family Picnic. In my usual cynical state, I was skeptical that people would even show up but I was proven wrong. The soccer match between "Buildings" vs. "Consulting"* was the talk of the office the entire week. My 130+ office mates actually like hanging out together - or they just like free food and booze. While my co-workers were kicking each other's shins on the field, Cap spun Addie around on her first merry go round. I took a few turns with her and almost barfed. Ugh. I'm old.


* In the engineering world, "buildings" refers to structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineers, while "consulting" is telecommunications, acoustics, and energy engineers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the corporate world!! I too am too old to ride the Mmerry Go Round but I could spin you pretty good when you were young and you had the same smile of glee as Addie, so like mother like daughter.

Anonymous said...

As I recall, the point of being on those is to get dizzy and stumble around and giggle and feel nauseated. And then we grow up and lose that joy! Perhaps it is a shorter frame of reference - the fun of spinning and whirling and having the air in your face and everything zipping by more than makes up for the inevitable queasiness.

Chria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chria said...

I agree with Gran, but I do think that the queasiness and "spinny-head" last a lot longer when you're older. But then again, I've gotten seasick from swinging in a hammock!