Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Choose Your Own Adventure: #2

Mama's turn! Saturday I got to choose our adventure.

IMG_9340.JPG

I woke up inspired to check out LA via our subway. I've lived in LA for a little over 4 years and have never ridden the metro. I've taken the bus, but never the subway - mainly because it doesn't go too many places. We drove to Hollywood and Highland to catch the red line. We changed to the gold line at Union Station and the got off one stop at Chinatown. It seems like Chinatown has gotten a face lift since the last time I was there including a gorgeous new upscale shop full of things that Addie thankfully didn't break. We ate strawberry eclairs, a red bean pastry and an egg custard tart at the Phoenix Bakery, and I bought a precious paper parasol for $4.50 which I want to save for Addie's birthday in May (that girl does not need any more Christmas presents!).
_MG_9364r.jpg

We hopped back on the train to Union Station and then walked to Olvera Street for lunch and shopping. We went from China to Mexico in less than 15 minutes! I had my eyes on a pink ukulele, a pair of maracas and Mexican shirt for Addie (also to squirrel away for her birthday).

_MG_9400.JPG

After watching some street performers (Addie using Cap's head as a chair), we had to cut the shopping short as this girl was in serious need of a nap. We jumped back on the train where Addie pretended to nap. This is one of her favorite games.
"I'm napping!" she shouts and then fake snores. The other day, she was running up and down the hallway shouting, "I'm funny!"

IMG_9416.JPG

Check out a few more photos from our Saturday Adventure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fake sleeping! There is a huge giggle hiding behind that angelic countenance. And what a wonderful day you all enjoyed!

michelle said...

I've never taken the LA metro either. What a great day. I need to do this next time I'm down there.

auntie snorg said...

Good sister! I've always been so intrigued with teh Metro. I rode it a couple of years ago and felt very counter-LA. I LOVE Olvera Street too! What a fun adventure.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Addie is ready for big city prime time now that she has ridden the Metro. Auntie Snorg can take her on the NYC Subway now so she can charm the buskers!