Friday, December 12, 2008

It's kinda like a spider; it's a squid!

_MG_8780.JPG

In this photo, Addie is looking, uh . . . intently, at a blue plastic squid in the little chair.

This year, instead of a paper advent calendar, I bought a wooden one thinking that this is definitely the more sustainable option. Sure, assuming I actually re-use it, but what really happened is that I'll use any excuse to spend my lunchtime in search of bargains at TJ Maxx Home Goods. I've decided that instead of a giant store of useless junk (which it is), it's really a treasure trove of delight.

The advent calendar came with peppermints behind each door which I gave to my coworkers. Of course, my advent calendar is less eco-friendly now that I have to go find 25 pieces of mini junk to put in it. Since it was already December 3 when I bought it, I had to scrounge up a few tiny items we had at home already. I believe that little blue plastic squid came off a margarita glass or possibly from a Sonic cherry-limeade drink purchased decades ago in Texas. There is no telling.

When Addie extracted it from behind door number 3, she exclaimed, "It's kinda like a spider; it's a squid!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun picture! How neat, too, that Addie's vocabulary is growing so rapidly that it includes all sorts of creatures!

I like the idea that these treasures will appear every Dec. 1 as she learns to anticipate them year to year. Change the date where the squid turns up so it is part of the treasure hunt of the advent calendar.

This is a great new tradition starting!

Anonymous said...

Perfect picture for a Christmas card.

auntie snorg said...

Your halloween costumes the first 2 years seem to have given addie a preference of the 8 legged variety. Such an intense face.

I set up my advent calendar on Sat. After i had to walk a mile to get a christmas tree, which i then hoisted over my shoulder and walked back home with. I'm sore. But my apartment is now super christmasy.

kitty said...

that photo is amazing. gallery worthy1