Monday, June 06, 2011

The Campout

_MG_9962.JPG

On Saturday, Cap and Addie decided they wanted to try some backyard camping. Cap busted out our tent which we bought in 1996 when we spent the summer after graduating from college back country camping around several national parks.  We were 23. We are not 23 anymore.

This was Addie's first time sleeping in a tent. After Eliza went to sleep at 7, the two of them changed into PJs, gathered up their pillows, a flashlight and the ipad and headed out the tent to watch Barbie: A Fairy Secret snuggled in their sleeping bags.  Addie was so excited I could hear her yakking away until close to 9. Addie finally fell asleep and was woken up the next morning at 6 am by Eliza and I who were peaking at the campers from our bedroom window. Guess we weren't being very stealthy. Addie had such a fun time she announced that sleeping in her regular bed gave her a stomach ache and she needed to sleep outside in the tent.

Maybe one day we'll all go camping as a family. I'm not quite ready to try it with Eliza and the little guy. When we do though we'll need a bigger tent. A much bigger tent.  Actually I really want to rent an RV once in my life. It's on my 40 under 40 list I'm mentally compiling -- 40 things I want to do before I'm 40. Any suggestions?

_MG_9960.JPG

2 comments:

Gran said...

Sounds like it was everything camping in the back yard should be. Poor Addie's tummy but I suspect the treat will be repeated occasionally.

I have been entrancing by RVing so thumbs up for renting one and giving it a try. I have also heard buying one is like buying a boat: best day in your life is when you acquire one; second best is when you sell it. Still, renting one would be a great adventure.

Nicholas Jarrett said...

A bunch of us rented two RVs to take to Baja. The larger one literally bounced apart on the bad roads. And maybe TMI, but don't use the toilet in an RV unless someone else is going to drain the tank for you.
Also we love our Marmot tent--a happy orange color to wake up in, good ventilation and rain cover goes all the way down: http://marmot.com/products/halo_4p