Saturday, November 03, 2012

Happy Halloween: Part I

_MG_3651.JPG

Halloween was a 12 hour celebration.  After waffling back and forth trying to figure out how I was going to get to three school parades at three different times and be home early enough to trick-or-treat, I decided on Tuesday just to take the whole day off. I am so glad I did.

I went with Addie, dressed in her awesome Princess Vampire costume, at 8 am to her school where I spent the entire morning in her classroom helping with their Halloween festivities. I would like to take a moment to say that I Rock.  I'm a room parent again this year and part of the responsibilities include organizing holiday events. I chose the activities the kids would be doing for 2 hours, bought the supplies and prepped the work. The original idea was to drop it all off and have other parent volunteers help, only 2 parents never showed up so I am extra glad I took the day off to be there (plus I had a blast and wish I could do it all the time)! It ended up being me, another mom (so grateful to her!), their teacher and 20 costumed 1st graders.

The idea was to have three stations that the kids rotated through - a reading station where a parent would read them Halloween stories (Mom was a no-show b/c her older son was sick) but luckily I had some word searches printed up as back-up, a craft (we did pasta skeletons) and a second craft station. I found this super cute math game on a blog so I decided to get a little Halloween-themed addition/subtraction work into the day. How nerdy of me! Thankfully the kids loved it and got super into the game. They sorted math facts written on popsicle sticks into jack o'lanterns with the answers written on each.

_MG_3655.JPG
My math game

All the kids came in costume and after the morning activities, they had brunch (organized by my co-room parent) and then the all-school parade. Cap and Mit joined us at school. I seriously needed a nap after that, plus I couldn't sleep the night before and was awake from 1-3 am. No such luck though. We had an hour at home before heading over to Eliza and Xavier's school for their activities starting at 2:30. Stay tuned for Part II!

_MG_3695.JPG

2 comments:

Gran said...

Sarah, you were wonderful! Great, imaginative games! Power on!

mit said...

I was exhausted, and all I did was watch the three parades.