Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Memorial in the Desert

Camera Roll-974

Camera Roll-982

Over MLK weekend Xavier and I flew to Tucson to be with Dad and Nanci and the Winn family to honor and remember my godfather Jim Winn who passed away in December. I actually didn't realize, or maybe I just plain forgot, that Jim was my godfather but even without the moniker he was one regardless. He and Bonnie have known me my entire life. They attended my wedding in Tucson in 2004 and fell in love with the desert eventually settling there permanently. I always looked forward to  dinners with them in Tucson over a class of wine and great conversation. I will miss Jim's quick wit and encyclopedic knowledge of almost any subject, but it's the twinkle in his eye that I will always remember.


While the reason for the trip to Tucson was filled with sorrow, it was so great to see family and spend time in the desert. We stayed with GranJanne at her house and Xavier loved her doggy (or "Dooo" as he says). Xavier also continued to charm Nana and Pop-Pop too. I really enjoyed my own special time with him -- even though he still doesn't say Mama or Mommy. He was really the sweetest baby on our trip. In March, we are going to brave I-10 over Spring Break and drive out to Tucson.

Cap stayed at home with the girls and attended another memorial service for our friend and neighbor, Ed Gabriel, who passed away tragically while on vacation with his family in Hawaii over Christmas. This winter has been marked by a lot of loss and sorrow but my family and my three little ones certainly make my heart swell.

Camera Roll-962
Checking out GranJanne's bird-filled backyard

Camera Roll-979
Xavier and his "dooo"

Camera Roll-973

3 comments:

GranJanne said...

Xavier is a joy!

Gran said...

I love his little curls at the nape of his neck. Yes, lots of loss but lots of love and family to get through it all. And lots of memories that ease the loss.

mit said...

I suddenly realize - Xavier is saying Dooo when he sees pictures of BIRDS because birds and Hailey go together!? As if to say, "Where there are birds, there's a dog."