Sunday, June 10, 2007

banned?


I am on the lam. I’ve broken the rules. It was risky, I know, but it had to be done. After 6 or 7 rooms of the Dan Flavin retrospective at LACMA surrounded by awesome colored fluorescent light, wide open spaces and a cute little munchkin that wanted to wander around, I just had to break the law. This is the renegade, illegal shot, snapped midday while the guard walked into the other room for a moment. Now, I'm not the type of person that would ever knowingly harm art but we're talking lights here so what the prob? No flash, no dirty finger prints, no harm, right?


You aren’t going to believe my self-righteous art lovin’ ways when moments before entering the the museum, we climbed all over the Donald Judd sculptures. It’s cement. It’s outdoors. I think it would be a crime if we didn’t experience it. I also didn’t notice there was a sign asking us to refrain from walking on the gravel and to stay on the path. And for the cherry on the museum of shame visit, we had to practically run away from the nice Membership desk lady who was beseeching us to join. What? Join a museum where we can't take photos and run amok like uncultured heathens? I don't think so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah and Addie - FBI's most wanted - crime sprees pay, actually...

Anonymous said...

It was the "final" episode of the Sopranos last night and the first crime spree of the Addies! I thought Art was to be experieneced way to go Addie - a future docent in the making! I am envious as I love both Flavin and Judd art, I'd join if only to cover Addie!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, it is genetic! We took you to a Chris Burden event at the Museum of Contemporary Art when you were around 2. He placed himself on the floor against a wall, and under a sheet of glass angled over him. And there he stayed. For a long time. Overnight and on into the next day. No food, no toilet.

It wasn't until the museum staff brought in a doctor to check him out that he ended the event. The purpose was to see how long a person could lie in full sight of strangers coming and going before someone touched him.

You would have had him out in a very short time. You broke away and shot over. We caught you "just in time."

Anonymous said...

I missed the pun title in the visual yesterday - band or banned?
Go for it Addie, I'm with you!!!!!