Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Bounce House


This past weekend was a birthday double header. Two pals from daycare both turned one with a party on Saturday and another on Sunday. Two days, two birthdays, two cakes, two bounce houses. When I was little we called them Moon Bounces and they only existed at fairs and carnivals. Now they appear to be a birthday standard along with cake. Fancy cake. Cake that rivals the most expensive wedding cakes. The best part was that I got to hang out with the daycare parents - something that somehow hasn't happened in the 10 months Addie has been at daycare. Guess what? These folks are awesome! I'm so excited to add new friends for both Addie and myself. I spent most of Rya's birthday being the self-designated party photographer. At Teddy's party the next day I abdicated the photographer's throne to a guy who had a bigger camera and took a break from being the lens. I'm finally beginning to admit that I really might want to do this professionally. Wow. There. I said it. Deep breath.

Okay, back to the bounce house. I was convinced that the bounce house phenomenon is an LA thing. You can drive around to any part of town on a weekend and spot at least half a dozen. But is it an LA thing? Jamie kindly offered an alternative theory that perhaps it wasn't regional but a sign of the times. Interesting concept. Imagine birthdays being different from when I was a kid?! Apparently I am unable to comprehend that birthday parties may have evolved and instead can only wrap my head around the concept that that things are different when you leap coasts, not when 30 years have past. I haven't queried any east coasters, or midwesterners to test the theory. Is it an LA thing to have a bounce house or is just a now thing? Either way, Addie really enjoyed it as did Spiderman, and it was amusing at the very least to see 3 dads, 1 mom and 5 babies squeeze themselves out of a tiny flap born anew from the belly of a multi-colored plastic castle.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bounce houses are tres ordinaire here in Tucson (wild and rugged). I see them quite frequently in my neighborhood and also in the park across the street. They're fun!

Genevieve said...

Last year I went to a three year old's birthday party in Maryland and he had a moon bounce. (and we still called it a moon bounce) There was also one at another three year old party I went to in April but that one was at a baby gym not at their house. But when I was little, you're right, they were only at carnivals, usually of the school/camp variety.

ps - loving the idea of professional photographer.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Bounce Castles are de riguer here in the midwest!Even saw an inflatable water slide at a kids party we were at last Sunday.

Go for the professional photographer thing, you've got it in you to say nothing of designing grad announcements!

Anonymous said...

Sebastian got his very own bounce house for his first birthday: a handsome castle with drawbridge and turrets, and windows that just fit the huge plastic balls he can push through. There are even halbards (plastic inflatable) by the castle entrance. He should have several years of fun before he outgrows it.

Sarah, go for it! Your talent is obvious, as is your dedication. You know we are all cheering you on.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you should be a professional photoer Sarah.

Chria said...

Am I a party-pooper because I don't get the idea of a bounce house at a first birthday party? I guess it's fun for the parents and guests, but it seems like most 1-year-olds would be scared, wouldn't they?

Anonymous said...

Bounce Houses are all the rage for kids here in SF too - we see a gazillion of them in the park on the weekends. In fact, I've rented one for Ross' 30th birthday at the end of the month. Followed by an evening of Chuck E. Cheese pizza and put-put golf.