Sunday, August 26, 2007

photo journalism



I was inspired on Saturday by a TV show. You will be thankful that it wasn't So You Think You Can Dance this time. That was my number one favorite show last season and a little part of me died when it ended. So beloved was this show that I wanted Nigel Lythgoe, executive producer and one of the "jejees" as host Cat Deeley would say, to be Addie's Godfather. I haven't signed up for break dancing or latin dance lessons, yet. Nope, this show was on an amateur photographer.

I caught the last 3 minutes of feature about a women who has been documenting her children on film since they were born. She wanted photos that they could look back on and understand their childhood. Her photos were gorgeous and she said she shot them in a photo journalistic style and defined it in two phrases: black and white and wide angle. I was immediately inspired to capture Addie's life at home with all the chaos, clutter and quiet moments that are often tangled up together. This also meant dusting off the giant flash which I continue to eye nervously as a mysterious piece of photographic equipment. Monday I start my fall semester photography class. I think it's called Color Transparency or something, but it's basically Another Good Overview class and we'll be tackling flash photography as part of it. I'm excited because I can use my digital camera in the class for the first time.

7 comments:

jamie said...

we can cry in our beer together... i can't believe i have to wait another 10 months for SYTYCD. phooey. good thing i have gorgeous pictures of addie to pacify me- makes it hurt just a little bit less. ;)

Unknown said...

Addie seems to be so intensely interested in everything she does and encounters. Priceless

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, Sarah. You are such a devoted recorder of your family's activities already, but looking at it from a photojournalist's point of view gives a more purposeful focus.

These shots are darling - as Janice says, Addie does focus so intently on what she is doing. The elevated hand gives punctuation to her viewing. As though she were conducting the page. You will now turn the page; the creature on the page will now perform.

It is so wonderful having these insights to our absent darling.

Genevieve said...

I hate the way Cat Deeley says judges.

and now, back to the show. (I already know who won, but I have yet to see the finale! they don't get SYTYCD in Belgium!)

Anonymous said...

wonderful pictures. sarah you just keep maifesting. i think someone should photo journal you.

love, marcia

auntie snorg said...

I too am a fan of So You Think You Can Dance! I even voted, cause i'm that cool! Sarah, i think we need a video of Addie showing of her dance skeelz. She COULD be America's Next Favorite Dancer!

Afternoon Stache said...

Yes, we watch it too. Religiously. It's sad to admit, but we watched Benji cry, watched his sister not live up to expectations, and waited for Wade to wow us again. Then there's Mia, who I can't decide if she is a genius or a wacko. There's a fine line between the two, but I think she might actually be both.

These are excellent photos. Is it the class or is it innate talent? Again, a fine line, but probably both.