Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Artist




If we leave Addie to putter around the house in search of entertainment, you'll often find her at her easel or sitting in the chair at our desk busy drawing. Of course, we might also find her in the living room begging to watch Buzz (Toy Story 2), Dalmatian Dog (101 Dalmatians) or Monster Movie (Monsters Inc.). She comfortable in most mediums - chalk, crayons, marker or paint. Ah, but it is a pen that trumps them all.

To have and to hold the precious ink is to have found paradise. Even last Christmas when Addie was 1 and a half, and we were flying to Detroit, Addie would walk the aisles and snag pens out of people's hands. One kind woman, unfortunate to have an aisle seat, let Addie draw on the backside of the carbon copies of her checks.

We have been rather disorganized keeping her drawings as most of them have been drawn on scrap paper I brought home from work -100 legal size sheets of paper with my old firm's annual budget misprinted on the reverse. I did get inspired though from spread in Sunset magazine and transformed some of Addie's drawings into graphic prints. (thanks Jamie for the photoshop lesson!) We're going to frame them and hang them up on the wall along with an assportment of photos that I'm finally going to convert from digital purgatory to print.


Now try to get the girl to play with a ball and it's as if I've asked her to eat a slug. Oh wait, she probably would eat a slug if I asked.

5 comments:

auntie snorg said...

i want addie art! I love them! I'm glad to see she's still into eyes/fish/circles. Ah, the girl's got talent. Takes after her mamma's artistic side.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful! Is she really drawing to the boundaries as in the photos? In Maui her drawings were very small, meticulous and intentional. It would seem she is expanding her expression. They're great!

Anonymous said...

I see influences of Rembrandt and a bit of Picasso.

Reid said...

These are amazing and I want to know how you did it. She seems to be really into belly buttons (if I see what I think I see). The first one looks like two people, the one on top is looking for something. The second appears to be a fish. The third appears to be a person running with something - maybe running up to hug somebody. Sawyer is still more into hard core scribbling, and writing on our walls.

Anonymous said...

I guess the ball thing is for Pop-Pop. Maybe she's just ready for Frisbee!