Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Real Deal

Hello Malibu Kiwanis Club Annual Chili Cookoff and Carnival!

All hail funnel cake
Well, my wish finally did come true. And I can say that the (county) fair dream has been realized and the craving for funnel cake has been conquered. With all the best intentions to go for a hike in Malibu with Clara and her parents, we got waylaid by breakfast tacos, chai tea and a playground at our initial rendezvous point. By the time we were finished playing along side the well dressed Malibu locals, the sun was too high for a cool hike so we took to the road. After a rather weak attempt to find beach parking, a giant Ferris wheel a few miles up the road beckoned us over.

beneath the wheel

Weeeeeeeee!

Good times on the Ferris wheel. Addie sat in reverence for most of the ride, hands clasped on her lap but after a few rounds she got into the spirit. Addie and I have also been in a little Mama-Daughter Independence battle. She will only let Dada read her books and if she cries in the middle of the night, I am promptly sent "Away Mama! Only Dada!" She did let me on the carousel with her at the fair, but I was told not to touch her or any part of her horse. I had stand a foot back like her bodyguard. I wonder if she learned that from the kids at the Malibu playground earlier that day?

Check out more photos of our day at the Carnival on the left side bar.

8 comments:

auntie snorg said...

HAHAHAHA. Oh, the war of the worlds. Someone sounds like quite the daddy's little girl right now. But, i know you are the BEST Addie bodyguard ever!
Good sister!

Anonymous said...

Consider it(the mama-daughter thing) training for the teen years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michelle said...

Love these pictures. And funnel cake.

Reid said...

I actually had to look this word up: referevernce - thinking that maybe it was some super duper form of reverence - and knowing that your vocab far outstrips mine. I think it should be a word. Referring to reverence.

Sarah Q said...

thanks for the typo heads-up! there were a few others that needed fixing as well.

Anonymous said...

What a great time everyone had!

The Dada phase comes to every little girl and all the development books say it is a sign of healthy separation from Mom. While that may be the case, it is still an Owie. You keep doing what you are doing, because you are doing it right!

Anonymous said...

I heartily defer to gran's experience of a couple of daughters. Never having had a granddaughter before I'm already over my head; but I can't help feeling it will turn out great.

Afternoon Stache said...

Funnel cakes and pushup pops too?!! You guys are the best parents ever. I'm jealous. I was lucky to get frozen, vitamin fortified milk on a stick. Well, that's not true, I also got asparagus jello. If you want the recipe, I think I have it on a post-it note somewhere.