Saturday, June 23, 2012

Good-bye Kindergarten

Camera Roll-1745

It has been a mad dash to the end of school. Field day, water day, spirit week, and oodles of art and school work coming home in her backpack. I don't think I've worked a full week this June with the different end of year events between kindergarten and Montessori.

I am so proud of her. She can really read like a champ and on the second to last day of school she brought her own book to read to her class. To practice sight words, the kids, depending on their individual reading level, once a week tackle 20 "turtle" words. Her teacher calls them the Turtle Kids. I told Addie if she got to Turtle 10 by the end of the year she could pick out a toy. I would have gotten her an American Girl doll if she wanted but guess what she chose? A chocolate bar. Yup. That's my Addie.

turtle 10.jpg

Camera Roll-1743

On the last day of school, I picked Addie up at 2:29 instead of sending her to STAR in the afternoon. I had arranged with another Mom to take our girls to get frozen yogurt after school as a treat before going to the end of year party at another classmate's house. This is a story of managing expectations. I thought I was being the best Mom in the world taking a half day off from work but when Addie saw me she told me she didn't want to go with me to get a treat and only wanted to go with Sofia's mom. Did I cry? Almost. Addie thought she was going on a drop-off playdate, something she really loves, and I thought this was going to be a magical Mother-daughter afternoon. After we both adjusted expectations, we all had a great afternoon. Addie's teacher come to the party too and it was so great for Addie, and all the kids and parents, to say good-bye. I feel so lucky we had Mrs. Carman as her kindergarten teacher. I wish we could have her every year through fifth grade! How great is this photo. Of course Addie insisted on wearing vampire teeth in the photo. Why not?!

After the party, I took a reluctant Addie home and then went back to work where I was until 3 am. I worked 13 hours that day even though I was away for six hours. Busy times for everyone.

Hello First Grade! (thankfully there is a summer in between to get both of our heads around the concept.)

Camera Roll-1690
Practicing our 'do for Crazy Hair Day at school

Camera Roll-1730
Fancy Dress Day

1 comment:

mit said...

I can see Ms. Carman and Addie make each other happy.