Monday, November 27, 2006

hunt for the perfect stocking

I'm trying to find the perfect christmas stocking for Addie - something that I can say later to her, "We gave you this stocking on your very first Christmas." And darn it if I can't find anything I like. I even tried Lillian Vernon in a moment of desperation. Gasp! I've also contemplated making one for Addie, but who am I kidding? I can't sew nor do I have the time to boil old wool sweaters to make a felt stocking even though Martha has instructions and a template on her website. I'm just hoping that somehow we can get out Christmas cards this year.

Any suggestions on where I can find the perfect stocking?

6 comments:

Genevieve said...

I have had my stocking since I was a baby too so I don't really know any cool places to look, but I do know my friend Kate bought her son's stocking at Lands End. Have you looked there? Charlie's is cute but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for...

Reid said...

This may just inspire me to write an entire stocking blog myself. The end result of my search, which started in August, was to turn the project over to my mom. Stocking are really something that belongs in the grandmother department. Thanks to Grandma, Sawyer has ended up with the standard Lands End embroidered santa stocking. More on this later.... RPA

Sarah Q said...

I too have been searching for ages. LL Bean, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Garnet Hill and even Urban Outfitters. I waver between needlepoint nostalgia and minimilist modern. Jonathan Adler makes a modern needlepoint one but it didn't seem like something for a child. I think you are on to something about the stocking being a gift from a grandparent. Is it too late to get one monogrammed???

jannepone said...

I think some of these are kind of nice. Sandy made Cap's Christmas stocking out of felt that was glued together. She is quite good at crafts so it looked really nifty! I'll keep looking.

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/christmas-crafts-ms/

Genevieve said...

oh, also? I forgot... you don't need to boil wool to felt it. It will felt quite nicely in the washer with some jeans or an old towel or two. not sure if that will inspire you to actually make the stocking but it may be faster than boiling pots of wool on the stove if you do...

Anonymous said...

I found some that I think are really nifty and ordered three - one for each of you. I am happy to keep them for each time you are with me for Christmas, or if you love them take them home with you. Should I keep it a surprise?