Wednesday, February 14, 2007

one fish two fish

Addie and her parents are big fans of aquariums. This is Addie's third aquarium visit but her first to the Long Beach aquarium. She continues to like all yellow fish and the octopi. I don't think the wise octopus finds its current digs very challenging because there was a Mr. Potato Head toy in the tank - a disembodied Darth Tater if I'm not mistaken.

Addie would have enjoyed the aquarium more if she could actually have seen it. Turns out Miss Addie was cultivating conjunctivitus (pink eye) and was subsequently banned from daycare Monday and Tuesday. I got a nasty bug and was out cold (and hot and cold and hot) with a 102 degree fever during the same time. Poor Cap was left to rescue Addie from daycare, whisk her off to the Doc's, get her prescription eye drops and take care of her all day while trying to work. I slept and slept and then on Tuesday, I watched Addie in a pretty half-dead sort of way in the morning and then Cap came home and took second shift. Cap is pretty much a super hero.

This stupid flu also kept me from attending my very first class as a real college student. I'm no longer part of the continuing educaton program but am actually enrolled in Santa Monica College. I even have my own student ID number and will hopefully get to purchase the student ticket price at the movie theater. Oh wait. I don't go to the movies anymore. Still, I'm very excited to be taking Photo II: Black and White Photography and Developing. I still feel like a neanderthal with a "real" camera and rely on the trusty point and shoot digital to take all of the photos on the blog. What I haven't figured out yet is how I am going to find the time to take a real class for 16 weeks, with real homework and real grades. And be a full time Mom (can't be any less can you?) and work full time. Hmmm. Maybe I know why I'm constantly sick.


So back to our spectacular day at the aquarium with Addie's pals Jake and Tayloe. Addie got to touch a starfish and a sea anemone who wrapped it's sticky (technically they are stinging neurotoxins but humans and clownfish are immune) tentacles around her finger. I got to pet a sea hare and a sea cucumber which are my favorite things to do at the aquarium. So soft, so squooooshy. We can't wait to go back again.

4 comments:

jamie said...

i love to poke sea anenomes. poke poke. glad you are all feeling better!! xo

jamie said...

i'd like to announce that i failed the letter quiz below FOUR TIMES before being allowed to post the above comment. maybe this is a sign that it's time to go to bed.

Afternoon Stache said...

My favorite aquariums in order of favoriteness: 1. The actual ocean (highly recommended...just not for babies) 2. Monterey (Softball, like saying the San Diego Zoo) 3. Atlanta (hihgly underrated) 4. Baltimore and 5. My Dad's fishtank which is where young guppies go to die

Reid said...

Ross-LOL. BTW, Dad's aquarium has been upgraded to an underwater terrarium for the exclusive cultivation of aquatic plantlife. Guppies and their evolutionary superiors are no longer allowed. -RPA