Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pea Popsicles

Since my food confessional a few weeks back, I thought I'd take a moment to tell you we've made progress. In addition to rice cereal, sweet potatoes and carrots, I've now added bananas, pears, peas and more squash to Addie's diet. Saturday she got to gnaw on a sourdough pretzel, a favorite of mine. I've even been so adventuresome as to try my hand at some homemade baby food.

For most meals, the organic jar food is great, and I bought at least one of everything this weekend at the Ralphs. We also have on hand a batch of homemade, frozen peas and butternut squash. I'll admit though that I bought frozen butternut squash that was already nicely cubed leaving me to steaming, pureeing and then pouring into the ice cube tray molds. Easy!

My pièce de résistance of baby food culinary feats is roasted Kabocha squash. If you've had vegetable tempura before you've had this sweet Japanese pumpkin. Addie hasn't sampled it yet but what's not to like? She doesn't seem to have any preference for my homemade colored food cubes over the jarred food, which probably means my cooking is as bland as the store bought stuff. Either way, it goes down the hatch and that's what matters. I only wish I ate such a variety of healthy foods. Lucky for Addie, they don't make pizza in a jar yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful array of colors! Is she sticking to one at a time or can she mix and match? Does she have a color preference, like she does for yellow fish? I wonder how she sorts out the flavors. Everything seems to go into the Addie Mouth quite readily.