Monday, April 30, 2007

Why We Live in California


Because it's sunny. Well duh. And we have these beautiful mountains within an hours drive. Do we do this all the time? No. So then you have to ask, what is wrong with us? When we moved from New York I was so excited to have so much natural beauty so close and still enjoy the comforts and excitment of urban living. Well, we certainly pay for it in rent, food, gas, taxes. So why haven't we been to Malibu Creek State Park before? No excuses.

I'd love to take Addie camping sometime. We have an amazing 2 person tent that Cap and I used one summer when we camped around the country after college. It has all sorts of subtle high tech elements (or so the guy told us when we bought it) and it only weighs as much as a can of clam chowder which is rather a nice feature when lugging it around the backcountry in the Grand Tetons. But I think I want to get one of those giant tent mansions with 2 rooms and a foyer for some seriously luxurious car camping. Addie could even have her own quarters. Heck, it will be bigger than our apartment.

10 comments:

Genevieve said...

we had one of those giant tents when I was little! My dad and his friend (who had 2 daughters) would take us camping, and they would spread out over the whole front room, and throw all 5 of us girls into the back.

Reid said...

Just don't set them up anywhere windy. We bought one for the beach and the wind broke it in half the first day we had it.

jamie said...

i love this photo of you two. :)

Anonymous said...

The picture reminds me of why I loved living in LA 45 years ago when I got out of college for all the same reasons you give Sarah. However my camping with Addie and her parents will be Millenium style or maybe a B'n'B!!! Last time I camped was with Uncle Bro when he was a cub scout!

Chria said...

My very self-righteous parents taught me to have a healthy disdain for those bourgeois multi-room tents, so if you do get one, I'll be forced to jeer from my spartan dome tent next door when we go camping!

Anonymous said...

hah - you should've seen the uber-spartan circa WWI canvas tent we had when i was growing up. it had a heavy wooden pole in the middle and wasn't even close to being waterproof. but could sleep four plus 2 dogs quite comfortably.

jamie said...

since my husband is a masochist, can clara and i bring our feather beds into your big condo tent? we promise we don't snore. and we'll bring mojitos.

Anonymous said...

Our tent wasn't either WWI Cap - Great Depression at the earliest. And you could hang laundry from the heavy steel umbrella spokes.

Anonymous said...

Heck with the tent thing. Enjoy the Andrew Wyeth meadow shot.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day in the California hills. With very little work, I can feel and smell the grass, and imagine sretching out for a nap in the sun. Now please stop making it so attractive, or those of us in the northern reaches will have to begin migrating.

much love,
Nicholas