Sunday, May 06, 2007

Morning Stroll


Addie believes that rising early (6 am) is the best way to greet a new day - on a Saturday. Doesn't she know yet that weekends are for sleeping-in not getting up earlier than a weekday? Maybe she's just excited to spend ALL day with her mum and dad. Since I was now fully awake, I had this romantic idea that we'd stroll down to 3rd Street in West Hollywood, have a latte and a croissant at the new Parisian-style cafe, and read my favorite magazine, Domino, which just landed the day before in my mailbox.

Well, I've learned that fancy LA doesn't wake up at 6:45 am. The cafes were either sleeping soundly themselves or were having their sidewalks hosed down. This is a practice that also drove me crazy in NY, dodging rivers of runoff on your way to the subway. What an amazing waste of water just so someone doesn't have to sweep. But the point is that we walked and walked and finally ended up at the Coffee Bean on La Cienega and 3rd. Not so glamorous. Addie also thought it would be more fun to spend the next 30 minutes complaning until I gave her a toy, then tossing it on the ground. again and again. It's very hard to read a magazine and sip coffee when you are playing fetch - not to mention I felt that the rest of the patrons were either annoyed by Addie's protests when I would refuse to return the toy, or horrified that I'd consider giving it back to her after it had been on the floor. I made some gestures of good hygiene by giving the rubber ducky a cursory wipe with her burp cloth. See, I'm not a heathen, right?

Along the way, we did stop to smell the flowers. These don't really have a smell though but Addie does have a penchant for the color yellow.

And we can't forget. Today is Cap's birthday which we shall be celebrating at the bowling alley. Happy Birthday Po-Pa!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Cap! Your first as a Papa - how wonderful!

Genevieve said...

happy birthday Cap!

you know what? I've discovered the cafes in my neighborhood don't open before about 7:30-8 on weekdays. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be open at 6:45 on a weekend either...

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Cap! If you start the day at 6:30, does that mean you get to celebrate longer?

Reid said...

Cappy birthday Hap!