Thursday, October 16, 2008

Daddy's Little Girl

_MG_7138.JPG

Our routine of late is that I pick up Addie from daycare and cook her dinner
(if you can microwaving fake-chicken fingers cooking) before Cap gets home.
We paint or draw, watch tv sometimes or look for roly-poly bugs in the front yard.
But when it comes to her bedtime it's all about her Dada.

Not only am I not allowed to read to her at bedtime, but I'm actually banned from the room.
I am sometimes given clearance to cross the threshold during book time only to bring
her a refill of milk. If I do try to break the code, I'm screamed at, "Mama, You go!"
And guess where she sends me? "You go kitchen, Mama!"
Am I raising a 3-foot tall Donna Reed dictator?!
Once I got close-fist punched in the face trying to kiss her good-night.

So what is it gonna take to get back into Addie's special club?
If I learned anything in middle school about popularity, it's not to appear desparate.
"Please can Mama read you a book? Pretty please with sugar on top?"
I can't even believe I'm trying to win over my own 2-year old.
Tonight though I tried a new tactic - bribery. I painted both her fingernails
and toenails tomato red and wouln't you know it?
I was granted three books.

3 comments:

auntie snorg said...

You got sucker punched by Addie?! Poor sister! I'm sure every little girl goes through the Daddy's little girl phase. Just remember, it's only a phase. Well done with the bribery. Cap better be backing it with those imaginary dollars Addie's been giving him!

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear! Sorry about the punch. But the girl-bonds are strong: nails, hair, make-up (later on), shopping. Nah, it'll be fine! Don't forget a new pair of shoes as a bribe. And pizza. In Maui, the only times she would get straight into her car seat was for shopping and pizza. The girl knows her priorities!

Anonymous said...

This too shall pass until the teen years when both of you will get the same I don't want to be seen with you treatment. But know that you are loved by Miss A nonetheless even in this phase. Keep the faith Sarah, you are a great mom on a great team!