Friday, November 14, 2008

All in a Row

_MG_8084.JPG

_MG_8088.JPG

Okay maybe she's a tiny bit obsessive-compulsive.

At a recent birthday party while the other kids swarmed the play equipment, Addie took a break to play with the plastic animals. She would get one out of the bin and bring it over to a clear, flat space she found and line them up. Back and forth she went lining up her animals in a neat row. The parents were fascinated. What would happen if we moved one of the animals? Someone would move the blue brontosaurus 6 inches back. Sure enough when Addie returned with her new animal, she'd immediately move the brontosaurus back to his place in the row. Not once but 3 times. Nice and neat. and neurotic. I like that.

My parents used to tell me I liked to line up their shoes, heel to toe, out of the closet and down the hall. You'd think I would be more organized now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's obviously building an army of miniature animals in her quest for world domination.

Anonymous said...

Noah wasn't so organized!

Anonymous said...

Creating a sense of order isn't necessarily the same as being orderly. If I remember the Montessori interviews before Sarah attended, children automatically respond to order. Hence in class as they moved from one "work" session to another, they followed a prescribed set of rules. Take out your work mat; set it on the floor; bring your work to the mat; put your work away; put your mat away. Go to the next task or table and follow those rules.

I believe the idea is that a sense of order and proper process results in personal confidence and a class that shares happily with each other because behavior can be trusted.

It certainly sounds right. Do you think that could be applicable in the workplace? the economy? even politics? Oh, my!

auntie snorg said...

I think addie may be a genius. I ate papier mache glue and purple crayons when i was in montessori.

hmmmmm.

I do suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, and even i'm not so organized!

Miss A can come line up anything she wants when she visits!