Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cloudy with a chance of showers

_MG_6636.JPG

The weather report is in and we have showers.

For a year we've had a potty in our bathroom. Nada. I know she understands the concept, but there was mental hurdle to overcome. I asked another Mom for advice, and she said we need to upgrade our simple, unobtrusive potty for something with more fanfare. So, we went out about 6 months ago and got 2 more - one elmo potty that sits on the toilet and one blinky, singing, fake-flushing, sticker dispensing one. Addie immediately learned how to trigger the potty so it would think she had peed and she'd demand a "sticker for her chart" like the singing potty lady said she deserved. I always think about the singing voice back story. She is an aspiring singer and actress trying to get a gig and ends being the voice across America that coaxes and rewards children towards a diaper free world. A hero to us all.

But back to Addie. This is how it went down The First Time:

We were getting ready to put on her pjs and the poor girl had to pee something fierce. You could just tell, you know?
"Do you want to go pee-pee in the potty?" She has been known to sit on it, then jump up a second later and demand a reward. "You can have candy!"
"I want candy! Show me all the candy!" We have her leftover halloween candy and some scored from a recent pinata in a bowl high on a shelf.
"You can only have the candy after you go pee pee in your potty."
Addie sits down. Nada.
Plan B. Maybe if I can I distract her on the potty she might relax enough.
What do I resort to? My old trusty stand-by. Nailpolish!
So, I painted her nails a ruby red and then blow-dried them while she relaxed on her plastic throne. The girl is getting some
serous high-end service here.
Sure enough, with a few more words of encouragement, we have pee! Not much but some.
Woohoo. Dancing in the streets and of course candy.
Hmm, the girl still has to pee something might fierce.
Back on the potty. More showers, not much rain. But more candy.

Darn it if the girl hasn't realized she can do a minimum amount of work and still get the same reward.
She's crafty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that's what she meant yesterday when I was babysitting her - when she was talking about pee pee and candy so emphatically, and I had no idea what she meant. Oh well, I changed her diaper in due course.

Kids must think adults are pretty dense sometimtes.