Wednesday, September 27, 2006

material girl.1


Now that I'm back at work there’s less time to snap photos of Miss Addie which is sad indeed. However, I want to have at least one post mid-week (i'm addicted). Enter Material Girl. On Wednesdays I thought I'd share a baby or kid related item that I think is darn cool.

I've been coveting this dollhouse for several years for myself. I made Cap promise me that if we had a girl, we could get the Kaleidoscope Dollhouse which was designed by architect Peter Wheelwright & artist Laurie Simmons.

When I was a wee tot, I loved dollhouses. I had some plastic version that looked like a generic 2 story suburban home that very easily could have belonged to the Brady Bunch’s neighbor. I used to pretend that there had been a giant flood and the entire first level was underwater forcing the nuclear family of four to move upstairs. I turned the canopy bed into a bunk bed and had the younger brother sleep in the bathtub. Perhaps I’ve missed my calling to work for FEMA. Later, when I had pet mice, I made my own mouse house complete with a vanity and mirror in the bedroom and handmade wallpaper. Annabelle, Vanessa and Elsie were living in style – until they chewed out of their card board home and back in the habitrail they went.

When I was looking up my coveted modern dollhouse, I was very, very sad to learn that the item is no longer available and is being sold on eBay for $400 starting bid (original was $210) or Buy It Now for $2,000. Guess I won't hold Cap to his promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-( I wanted one too.

jannepone said...

Sarah, I really think you've missed your calling - you should be an interior decorator!