Saturday, September 16, 2006

Problems at the Pump: It is what it is

Guess who caught their first cold? Guess who caught a cold from the girl who caught her first cold?

It was bound to happen one of these days but I thought she’d make it beyond day 6 at daycare – that was fast! I blame baby Arden who had a nasty cough that I noticed when I was picking Addie up. They say these colds build immunity. Hmmm. Thankfully it was just a cough, some sniffles and a mild case of snot. I still can’t get the hang of using that nasal aspirator. I, on the other hand, have been incapacitated for the last 24 hours with a fever, aches and pains and a mild sore throat. Cap came home at 3:00 on Friday to relieve Nurse Didi and take over. This mommy thing is hard (My mom and Janne are reading this thinking – DUH! What did you expect, stupid?!). I’m beginning to think my maternity leave was like a vacation. Being a parent is difficult anyway but toss in a fever and going back to work – not to mention pumping, oh wait and the house is a filthy disaster too - and you get a nice cocktail of Crazed Panic Attack Mommy.

Going back to work has been harder then I thought actually. My first day back, I was thinking, "Okay, I can do this." Then Cap went to Toronto, my workload quadrupled and, to top it off, I’m not able to pump enough at work to feed Addie. 3 times a day my Outlook calendar pops up with a reminder “Pump Station Time!” Off I trot to my tiny room but only eek out half of what Addie needs. Downtrodden and feeling rather inadequate as a Mother, I’ve had to supplement her daycare meals with half milk, half formula. I'm beginning to think they should bring back Wet Nurses as a profession. Addie doesn’t seem to mind the formula and as Daycare Andi said, “It is what it is.”


(since blog entries are rather dull without a photo, here's another shot of Miss Addie from Roxbury Park last week)

3 comments:

Reid said...

oh no Q -
so sorry about the cold. i take back everything i said on my blog about slacker updates. hope you both feel better soon.
reid

jannepone said...

Duh!

But, I am really sorry about the illnesses. I well remember Cap's first and my first as a mommy. Take care, little one. I hope you are both well soon!

xoxo

Genevieve said...

hope you are feeling better!