Thursday, April 30, 2009

Addie's Room

Before Addie has to share her domain with her little sister, I thought I'd post a few photos of Addie's room before it changes again. It finally has all the standard furniture in it - bed, dresser, toy shelf, bookshelf. When we moved from our one-bedroom into our current two-bedroom, her room only had a crib, a single tall bookshelf and a chair. I'm not sure how we went 2 + years without a dresser for her.

Addie Room 4.jpg
Much of Addie's room was decorated on a budget with pieces coming mainly from IKEA, Urban Outiffters or Craigslist. I didn't really plan on buying so much from IKEA but it's just so tempting and I don't feel like I have to commit as much as I would if we spent zillions on something from pottery barn. The antique bed was a find on craigslist and Addie chose the orange bedspread from IKEA after one she saw in the book Corduroy. The birdcage curtains I had made from bedspread fabric I bought at Urban Outfitters and the owl painting is a gift from talented artist and cousin, Max Neutra.

Addie Room 2.jpg.
The shelf and oversized floor lamp are also both from IKEA. The three framed pictures are of Addie's own drawings and the owl decal I found on etsy.com.

Addie Room 1.jpg
The dresser is, you guessed it, IKEA. It was sort of an impulse buy as we saw it before checking out. I had originally wanted some sort of mahogany antique. The artwork above was painted by Addie and Clara at LACMA a little over a year ago. The lamp is Peter Rabbit, a gift from my Mom which I believe she found on e-bay.

Addie Room 3.jpg
The school desk we found on the street in Brooklyn years ago. Our old neighbor refinished it for me after I tried to sand it myself and gave up. The blanket was Cap's when he was a baby. The felt octopus picture is by Cap's friend and artist Amanda Barr. You can't have too many baskets to store stuff and these two orange ones were snagged from the clearance section at Urban Outfitters. I love their home section but unfortunately we have to drive all the way to Burbank to find one since not all the stores carry home items anymore.

There is not much left to do in her room, but I'm on the lookout for a cool (an inexpensive) mobile possibly with birds on it. I pretend I'm going to make one but don't hold your breath. Cap told me enough with the bird thing, but I can't help it! Birds are so cute!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Suuuuuper cute! You should send the pics in to Odeedoh!

Gran said...

What a lovely tour, Sarah! My favorite bit is that there are so many family connections. Addie may not make much of it now, but every piece in her room speaks of love. I am also struck with how much open space she has, to be Addie in. It is a wonderful room! And room to grow and share.

kitty said...

holy shit that's a tidy room. bonus points for cleanliness.