Sunday, October 22, 2006

Flight No. 4


Addie is quite the frequent flyer although she isn’t racking up the miles. We returned this morning from visiting my family in Chicago which is her fourth trip on an airplane. Cap stayed at home to take care of Didi while Addie and I hopped on a plane for 5 days of fun family time. Of course, I left my camera cord at my Mom's so stay tuned for more photos and tales of my trip. We had an amazing time and Addie was smooched and snuggled and admired by all.

Flying with an infant is a little bit of an ordeal but flying solo with one requires much patience and the ability to ask for help. There is no way I could have done this if countless strangers hadn't come to my aid from curb side attendants, TSA workers, flight attendants and a handful of passengers. Juggling all of our luggage, the stroller, car seat, the diaper bag and of course the baby is multi-tasking at its best. The simplest task like closing the overhead luggage bin is complex and forget trying to go to the bathroom yourself or struggling to change a diaper on your lap in the restroom because the plane is so old they don't have changing tables.

On our way to Chicago, we lucked out and had the entire row to ourselves. Addie could nap in her car seat by the window and play in the aisle seat. We had no such luck on our return flight. The plane was packed and I ended up in the bulk head seat which was awful because I had to put her diaper bag above me and then stick everything we’d need in the tiny sliver of a pouch tacked to the carpeted wall in front of our seat. It didn’t help that I forgot to close the top to my water bottle and when I got up my entire seat was flooded. I sat for 3 hours on a pillow and a blanket.

There was one attendant today who was in love with Addie, calling her “Tiny” and walking her around the business class section giving her plastic cups and crinkly packets of peanuts to use as a rattle. She also felt it necessary to give out advice including telling me which link on Addie’s teething toys she liked best and how to use the football hold to relieve her tummy of gas. I guess I can take a little unsolicited advice if it comes with the chance for me to use the bathroom solo.

Addie is really a pretty good traveler and everyone was very kind. No one even looked at me askance despite the periodic fussiness, not even the poor guy next to me who kept getting kicked in the arm when I was nursing her. Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so do you think holding a wiggly baby for a 12 hour flight is a crazy idea? I'm this close(holding my two fingers close together)to buying him his own seat.
BTW - we need ladies cocktail night ASAP!