Sunday, January 07, 2007

Addie

The 2006 Top 100 Baby Names List is out. I know, you couldn't be more excited. I greet this year's list with mixed emotions. The first thing I do is check out number one (Emma) and then quickly scan the other 99 to see if Adelaide has made it. This is one list I hope she doesn’t make. I know it’s silly, but I really did think having a unique name was important. This was not the only criteria, of course. If it had been, we could have just picked something insane like Nevaeh (heaven spelled backwards). Oh wait, that is actually ranked #89.

I will admit that when I was pregnant I guarded our choice of Adelaide for fear that even uttering the name would cause it to spread like wild fire so sure I was of its perfection. Maybe it was because I grew up amongst a bevy of Sarah’s that I wanted her to have something special. There were 6 Sarah’s in my eighth grade class (of 25 women) and then more recently I was one of 3 in my office out of only 6 women. I think that must be some record – 50% Sarah’s. I bet you can name at least a handful of Sarah's that you know. While Adelaide hasn’t made it to the Top 100 (or the Top 500 I hope), I was shocked to see that Addison had skyrocketed to #26. This means that there will be a gaggle of Addie’s in her elementary school not to mention the plethora of Maddie’s that will exist thanks to the continued popularity of Madison (#2). This doesn’t even take into account how many Abby’s there will be with Abigail ranking #9. My tongue is getting tied in a knot thinking about it. There might not be a key chain, barrette or mini license plate with Adelaide pre-printed on it at the Disneyland gift shop, but there is a pretty good chance there will be one with Addie.

10 comments:

Genevieve said...

I'm actually relieved for her that she will be able to find keychains with her nickname on them. Speaking as someone who only has those things if her name is spelled wrong (with an accent, in French) I always feel a bit sad that I can't find that stuff.

That said, I also LOVE when people tell me my name is beautiful and unique and I'm quite sure Miss Adelaide will hear that, too.

jannepone said...

I always felt somewhat sad that there weren't any keychains, license plates, etc., with my child's name on them. It seemed like there were for all the other children. Perhaps if we were in Italy? My son's name is, of course, Capulet.

Anonymous said...

We thought Sarah was unique at the time, how little did we know!! Maybe she will opt for being called Adelaide. Your brother was extremely resistant to being called either Andy or Drew and in kindergarten was very inisisitent that his teacher call him Andrew and it has stuck. Now I have a "Drew" which was my choice for bro's nickname - funny world isn't it?

Anonymous said...

It's still a bit early to tell what her personality will be like, but I could totally imagine Addie insisting on the Adelaide monicker, and if there are Addisons in her class, it will be easiest for everyone involved.

Uncle Brother said...

I still love the way Sarah introduced the name to me, referencing the one thing that all three Quainton kids would immediately think of and which we all knew we had to keep secret from the public. Oh, Calamity Jane. It will be a delight to introduce a new generation to the wonder that is Doris Day. But I'll wait until I am sure she ahs a sense of humor that can handle it.
And I am still very adamant about the Andrew. I think it went better with the shiso and bologna sandwiches I fancied as a youngster.

Anonymous said...

Regardless of how many Adelaide wanna-be's there are in her class, Miss Addie will always lead the pack, through charm, wit and intelligence. Who could stand up against those lighthouse beacon blue eyes?

Possibly through interesting lunch choices too. I sent Sarah in with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar until her teacher asked me not to as it was proving too difficult to clean up the powdered sugar, which apparently filled the lunchroom like a snow globe.

Anonymous said...

in any event, it's a beautiful name for a stunning little lady.

dennis and i thought we were uniquely naming our son nicholas in the 60's, having chosen the name because of a dying friend whose parents (30's communists) had named him after nikolai lenin. BUT, the baby boys of that time all had names like nicholas, christopher and benjamin.

Anonymous said...

oops, forgot my name. marcia. also, we thought nicholas could become nick jarrett, private eye.

Anonymous said...

Would you believe we just received a Christams letter from a friend in Portugal who informs us that Adelaide is a very popular girl's name there. Sorry!!

JB said...

When we were naming Casey, I told a friend that I wanted him to have a name that was not totally common but that he could find on a mug in a gift shop. She said, "Maybe you should name him China". Did that make the list?