Saturday, January 27, 2007

food shmood


I don't know what my problem is with food. I’m just not motivated to jump on the solid food train with Addie. Some parents I'm sure can't wait to introduce their child to new flavors and textures of food. Me? I'd be fine if she just consumed formula until she had enough teeth to chew and could therefore share adult food. Perhaps it has something to do with my own disinterest in the kitchen. I like baking and I like eating out so maybe if she was going to eat baby brownies and dine in a baby food brasserie we would be fine.

Addie's been eating rice cereal for maybe 2 months and only 2 weeks ago started her on vegetables – carrots and then today made the foray into the world of sweet potatoes. What will people think of me that my 8 month old is still on rice cereal and orange root vegetables? There are some factions of mothers that scoff at the jar food believing that it will train her to only like bland food. Of course, I don't want my kid to only like American cheese and egg noodles with butter but there's plenty of time to cultivate a distinguishing palate - like when she has molars. I'm curious to try making some baby food (carrots and cumin?) but at this rate she'll be in kindergarten so I'd better at least just stock up on a variety of the organic jars. I read the ingredients and it's just carrots and water - no salt, no sugar, no preservatives. Sounds fine to me.

This doesn't even begin to broach the question of To Raise a Vegetarian (pescetarian) Child or Not. It's one thing to make decisions that only affect your own body and health, but it's another to make that choice for someone else. Cap and I haven’t come to any conclusions on this subject yet. Being rather naïve about baby food, I was browsing that section of the grocery store and was appalled to see that they have jarred veal for babies. Meat in a jar seems disturbing enough but veal? Sorry folks but I'm possibly going to be controversial here and state that I think that is just plain wrong and repulsive.

The video of Addie sampling carrots for the first time isn’t going to blow your mind but there is a split second where she seems stunned and confused by the new flavor but then quickly recovers her cool and chows down.

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

JB said...

We are with you on waiting - Casey would rather chew on the spoon than eat the cereal we are offering. He isn't wasting away so we are going to be patient. I was starting to worry though because everyone asks and makes weird expressions when we say "nope - just breastfeeding still" but I finally found a book that says its ok until 12 months if needed (which hopefully it will not be) - phew!

Reid said...

I was horrified to read in the Baby Instruction Manual that by 7 months baby should be eating pureed meat and crackers. We are still on and off with the rice cereal at 6 months. Another good reason to toss the Instruction Manual in the waste basket. On the other hand, I have gleaned some useful information out of it while stressing about how to treat a cold or something.

Anonymous said...

Addie's reaction is adorable, not unlike having a glass of wine and a glass of water at the table and picking up the wrong one. Expectations were not met!

Her look reminded me of when I put the Really Huge Doll in front of her over Christmas and Addie reached out to touch it. There was a similar confusion over the texture of the skin and of the hair. Human? No, not human. What is it? She doesn't fuss if I pull her hair so I guess she is okay to touch. There was a lot of mental processing moving over Addie's face.

If you think of Geoffrey Rush's line about the pirate code being "more of a guideline" I think you can apply that to food introductions as well. Addie was certainly enthusiastic about her first rice cereal feeding, and while responding to a strange taste to what should have been more rice cereal, she certainly opens her mouth readily enough. I'd read that as One Thumb Up.

Her weight is fine, she is sleeping well. At that point, it is whatever works for you and Cap, and introducing foods slowly so if there is an allergic reaction, or a Thumb Down preference expressed, there is time for that to develop before a new food is introduced.

Veal? Just wrong. Of course, there was halibut and mackeral in Tokyo Gerber jars. They were a definite Thumb Down from Andrew.

It will be some time before she can appreciate the nuances of flavor that seasonings bring to food. No need for salt, no need for added sweetness. Right now food time is fun family time and big girl time, and that is plenty enough.